April 1, 2010

...a little something different...a recipe!

A few days ago, Hubby and I both got a craving for cupcakes, which is rare.  I definitely have a sweet tooth, but him?..he prefers salty stuff.  I rarely buy junk food because we don't have the best self-control.  BUT I got a new whole grain baking cookbook for Christmas and I've been eyeing the devil's food cake recipe for quite some time.  And of course, you can't have cupcakes without frosting and I was eyeing another recipe in the same book for coconut frosting.  I love coconut!  It's a very close second to my favorite, chocolate, so imagine how dreamy this combination sounded to me!   So last weekend, we coordinated counter space and oven time while Hubby made dinner and I made dessert (FYI, baking chicken and cooling cupcakes is not a good smell combo).  I posted a couple pictures on Twitter during the process and several tweeps asked for the recipe.  So here it is...and not that it's a difficult recipe, but make sure you set aside some time for these.  They are definitely worth it!  Recipes are from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking.


Devil's Food Cake

3/4 c unsalted butter
1 c packed brown sugar
3/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour
1 c unbleached all-purpose flour
1 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c plain yogurt
3/4 c water

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour pan(s) of your choice or line with parchment paper.  For cupcakes, lightly grease 2 muffin tins or line with papers and coat papers with nonstick spray.

Cream together butter, sugars and salt in a large mixing bowl till fluffy and light, at least 5 minutes.  Stop to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl at least once during that time.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa and baking soda.  If lumps remain, sift or strain the mixture.

Add eggs to the butter mixture one at a time, beating well (at least a full minute) after each addition, and stopping to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl before adding the next egg.  Mix in the vanilla.  Add half the flour mixture and mix until evenly combined.  Add yogurt and water, and mix again.  Add remaining flour, mix, and stop to scrape sides and bottom of bowl once more, to make sure the batter is evenly moistened.  Pour the batter in prepared pan(s).

For cupcakes, use about 1/4 cup of batter for each one.  Bake until cake tester or toothpick inserted in center of cupcakes come out clean, 22 to 24 minutes.  Remove cupcakes from oven and cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes before removing cupcakes from the pan and returning to the rack to cool completely.

Coconut Frosting

1 can (14 oz.) unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 c unsalted butter
5 1/2 c confectioner's sugar, divided
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla or coconut extract

Set a fine-mesh strainer or colander over a bowl and line it with a clean linen towel.  Pour the coconut milk into the lined strainer and let the coconut water drain for up to 2 hours, until you have a thick lump of coconut cream.  After the coconut milk has drained, cream the butter with 2 cups of confectioner's sugar in a large mixing bowl.  Beat in the salt and vanilla or coconut extract until the mixture is smooth.  Add the coconut cream and mix, scraping the bottom and sides of bowl.  Add the remaining confectioner's sugar until you have a smooth, spreadable frosting.  Cover and hold at room temp until ready to use.

Instead of a linen towel, I used a doubled paper towel.  I also only used about 4 cups of powdered sugar instead of the entire amount.  I used the coconut extract and the frosting ended up very coconutty and sweet.  So if that's your thing, go with the coconut extract.  I imagine the vanilla will tame the coconut flavor some, but it's still going to be a sweet frosting.  Since I iced the cupcakes as we ate them, I kept the frosting in an airtight container in the fridge and put it in the microwave for a few seconds to loosen it up before spreading.


Hubby and I both thought these were amazing cupcakes.  Very moist with great flavor and I couldn't really tell a difference between using whole grains and regular white flour.  We'll defintely be making these again!  If you make them, let me know what you think!!

Happy baking!

P.S.  All views are my own and the link provided is just me giving credit where it's due.  This is not a product review...I just love chocolate and coconut and baking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment